Thursday, August 8

On Changing Jobs

A job is an great thing. It's a passport to financial independence. It's a way to identify yourself, should you so choose. It's a tribe to belong to. (The Illustrious Fraternal Brotherhood of "Whatever-It-Is-You-Do's.") But most importantly, it's a way to fulfill one's societal duty to produce. Where am I going with this? I just changed jobs. Not technically. My title didn't change nor did my compensation. But my duties and location did. I used to work directly with physical objects. Things that were bought and sold, received and sent, stored and removed. Big things. Expensive things. Things that needed care and expertise and forethought, but also occasionally brute strength, to manipulate.    

Now I sit at a desk.

And I have to say, it's far less rewarding. There is no bodily reminder at the end of the day that I DID SOMETHING. No lingering soreness, no small scrapes reminding me that things in one place at the beginning of my day are now in another place.
No wonder people join gyms.

No comments: